In the spring & summer of 2022 some firms have had to make the painful decision to reduce staff. The good news is that we see that many talented employees finding other work opportunities within a very short amount of time. The talent shortage is evident and it's also very valuable for local Swedish companies that can hire people that are already in Sweden. 

This offers a possibility for talent acquisition teams, HR and project teams to actually meet a new prospective colleague live before starting to work together. 

It is most often possible to hire a person that is already in Sweden on a permit, however, as an employer you must make sure you and your new employee stay compliant.

Nimmersion’s Immgiration Team can help you.

So what do you need to know as an employer if you have employees that are leaving your company? And what does a new employer need to know in order to hire safely? 

The short instructions below are here to guide you!



  • The employer must deregister any work permits that are pending with the Migration Agency or current permits for all individuals that are leaving or have already left the company. 
  • Pay salary throughout the notification period and keep all insurances up to date.
  • Give a complete packet of the insurance coverage and a reference for the next employer to review.
  • Employers should provide an employment certificate stating the dates of employment and insurance certificates.



  • Work permit holders that have a work permit valid for longer than 6 months can stay in Sweden for 90 days after the last day of employment to look for new job opportunities. It’s important to note that the permit must still be VALID in order to stay. 
  • There is a new Job Seeking visa which you can apply for to have a longer time to search for jobs. You can read more about it here.



It's your legal responsibility to check the current work permit and make sure to address any employment change compliantly. It can be complex and Nimmersion can help you. The added benefit is that we often have the history related to the individual. 

  • Work permit holders in their first 24 months of employment in Sweden must apply for a new work permit if they find new employment. 
  • Work Permit holders in their second work permit period (24-48 months) can change employer with no more than the Tax Report of Foreign hire being in place, if they have the EXACT same role. However, if there's a role change, then a new application will be needed. Please note that the extension application after 24 months must be approved before an employee can be considered as being in the second permit period.
  • Permanent Residency holders are free to stay and work for any employer. 
  • If an employee is working on a dependent visa he/she may stay in the country as long as their permit is valid (ie, the main applicant still has a valid permit in Sweden).



If you need help or guidance regarding work permits, you're more than welcome to reach out to us here and describe your situation. We'll get in touch as soon as possible!